I made this cake about a month ago when I had some friends over to watch another True Blood marathon. It has no connection with the show whatsoever. I just happened to have applesauce in my fridge, and it seemed like a delicious idea.
APPLESAUCE SPICE CAKE
2 cups all purpose flour (plus some to flour the pan)
2 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1 stick unsalted butter (plus some for the pan)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup applesauce + 1 diced apple (or 1 2/3 cup chunky applesauce)
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 pinch ground nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 cup raisins
2 tbsp confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 9″ springform pan.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan.
- Remove saucepan from heat, and stir in the granulated sugar, applesauce, diced apple, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, vanilla, and eggs.
- Add the flour mixture, stirring until combined.
- Stir in the raisins.
- Pour mixture into pan.
- Bake about 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Put pan on wire rack to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Loosen the sides of the cake from the pan with a knife. Invert onto the rack. Turn it over again onto a serving plate.
- Sprinkle cooled cake with confectioners’ sugar.