Another birthday, another cake, another first. I got this recipe off epicurious.
3 pints fresh strawberries
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp white sugar
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup shortening
2/3 cup milk
2 cups whipped heavy cream
- Slice the strawberries and toss them with 1/2 cup of sugar. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425. Grease and flour 8″ round cake pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, 2 tbsp sugar and salt. With a pastry blender, cut in the shortening until the mixture resembles course crumbs.
- Make a well in the center and add the beaten egg and milk. Stir until combined.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool partially in pan on wire rack.
- Slice partially cooled cake in half, making 2 layers. Place half of the strawberries on one layer and top with the other layer. Top with the remaining strawberries, and cover with whipped cream.